Adopting IT Service Management disciplines is a journey for the service provider (and the customers). Here is a partial list of references which have guided me.
- The Visible Ops Handbook: Implementing ITIL in 4 Practical and Auditable Steps (book), Gene Kim et al.
- An opinionated pathway to adopting ITSM disciplines.
- Owning ITIL® (book), Rob England
- No nonsense guidance from the IT Skeptic
- ITIL: practice and theory-an empirical study (pdf), Hirth and Melander
- A broad ranging discussion with key insights in their Propositions section.
What is a Service?
- ANATOMY OF A SERVICE A Practical Guide To Defining IT Services (pdf), Jack Probst
- Jack sees the dilemma and gives good advice. I am still looking for someone to explain the ‘fitness for purpose’ criteria for service definitions in terms of the ITSM processes that will be consuming and updating Service Catalog information.
- Servicing ITSM (book), Randy A. Steinberg
- The first half is an excellent discussion around identifying services. Randy gets carried away in the second half and casts the whole of ITIL as a collection of services.